Lifeguard Certification Course Available
This program consists of instruction of, and leads to certifications in, Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer—certifications are good for 2 years, NY State Board of Health only recognizes the first year of CPR certification for lifeguards. You must be 15 years of age on or before the last day of the course (12/30) in order to register for the class.
Course Information and Details
Sunday December 27th – Wednesday December 30th from 9am to 3pm each day
Location: Manhattanville College, Purchase NY
Once you have registered for the course, email the instructor, at email@example.com, in order to set up a pre-course skills evaluation. This evaluation must be completed before the first day of the class (12/27) in order to sit for the course. The skills tested on the evaluation are as follows—each student must be able to:
- Swim 300 yards continuously (goggles are permitted).
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds without the use of swim goggles.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water.
- Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting and exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Course Topics: Attendance at all four course sessions are mandatory in order to pass the class. Each session will contain at least 2 hours of water time, in addition to classroom lecture and skills time.
Sunday, December 27th
- The professional lifeguard
- Facility safety and patron surveillance
Monday, December 28th
- Rescue skills
- Emergency procedures
Tuesday, December 29th
- First aid
- Breathing emergencies
- Cardiac emergencies
Wednesday, December 30th
- Head, neck, and spinal emergencies
- Final exam (there will be both an in-water skills exam and two written exams)