Welcome to Advanced Stroke
Where swimmers learn to refine mechanics and technique.
About the program
The Advanced Stroke Group is a 30 minute program for swimmers who can swim all 4 strokes and is considered a fourth level in stroke development and intended to bridge the gap between stroke development classes and the transition team.
Our coaches will periodically be in the water with the children at this level. This is a non-competitive group focused on advancing swimmers skills towards the goal of advancement to the Transition or competitive team in the future.
Swimmers MUST know all 4 stokes in order to be enrolled in this group.
One registration per child is required. You may only register for one type of program at a time. (Example, you may not register your child for stroke development and advanced stroke.)
Classes are first come, first served. Once classes are full, please email for waitlist. Waitlist persons will be contacted in the order in which requests were received.
Advanced Stroke program goals
- Introduction to, and basic understanding of, USA Swimming rules for safe pool conduct (e.g. feet first entry into the water during warm-up).
- Introduction of all basic stroke drills.
- Each swimmer will demonstrate progress/improvement on the following: freestyle/backstroke flutter-kick, stream-lined body position, and bilateral breathing.
- Improve aerobic efficiency (i.e., build and develop strength and stamina).
- Demonstration of USA Swimming rules for safe pool conduct.
- Swimmers will demonstrate proficiency in freestyle, backstroke, and butterfly drills.
- Swimmers will demonstrate legal stroke mechanics/technique in Freestyle and Backstroke, conforming to USA Swimming competition requirements (e.g., remaining on back for the entirety of a backstroke race, completing the race and touching the wall at the end of a freestyle race).
- Intro to head-first racing dive from either the deck or starting block.
- Introduction to freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly turn mechanics.
- Intro to competition relay start.
- Intro to interval sets using a pace clock or other time-keeping system.
- Swimmers will work towards ability to complete a 100 yard Individual Medley, with legal stroke mechanics and technique.
Schedule and Dates
Fall 2023 class schedule
Mondays 6pm – 6.30pm at Hommocks pool
Wednesdays 5.30pm – 6pm at Hommocks pool
Wednesdays 6pm – 6.30pm at Hommocks pool
Fridays 5.30pm – 6pm at Hommocks pool
Fridays 6pm – 6.30pm at Hommocks pool
Dates for Fall 2023 session
Mondays 10/2 – 12/11 (No class on 10/9)
Wednesdays 10/4 – 12/13 (No class on 11/22)
Fridays 10/20 – 12/22 (No class on 11/10, 11/24)